(408) 535-6232 ext. 14624
Intradistrict Transfer/Wait List
(408) 535-6232 ext. 14628
Student Assignment Department
(408) 535-6232 ext. 14627
Forms & Applications
School Choice Process
Transfer within SJUSD (Intradistrict)
Transfer to/from another district (Interdistrict)
International Academy - Academia internacional
Transportation Services - Servicios de transporte
Students who live within the boundaries of San José Unified and would like to attend school in another district may apply for an Interdistrict Transfer through the Student Assignment Department. You can call them at (408) 535-6232 ext. 14624 for more information.
We will release students to attend school in another district for the following reasons:
● They have childcare located within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
● One or more parent.guardian works within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
● Last Year Privilege (Grades 5, 8, and 12 only)
● The requested district or school has programs and/or curriculum not available in San José Unified;
● Change of address from the requested district (only valid after the start of the school year); and/or
● Social adjustment
When applying for an Interdistrict Transfer, parents must provide:
● Student Birth Certificate;
● Parent/Guardian Photo ID;
● Proof of residence within San José Unified boundaries;
● Child Care Affidavit or proof of employment, if applicable; and
● IEP (Special Education students only)
Once your application is approved, it will be sent to the requested district, which also must approve it before the transfer is complete.
Students who live outside the boundaries of San José Unified and want to attend one of our schools need to request an Interdistrict Transfer from their District of Residence. The District of Residence will forward your application to the San José Unified Student Assignment Department for review.
Interdistrict Transfers must be renewed annually. Even if a transfer is granted, please note that your student may be subject to displacement in future years due to increases in neighborhood enrollment at their chosen school. Please note that transportation services will not be provided by the district for Interdistrict Transfer students.
Interdistrict Transfers will be processed according to these priorities:
1. Students whose parent/guardian is a district employee (30+ hours/week) at a site within the school’s attendance boundary or students whose parent/guardian is a district employee (30+ hours/week) with childcare within the school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
2. Students with a sibling attending the requested school;
3. Students with childcare in the requested school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
4. Students whose parents work within the school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
5. Students in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8 and 12);
6. Change of address; and
7. Social adjustment.
For new students
Applications will only be approved if there is space available after all San José Unified students are placed, most likely after the start of school. Students must also meet attendance, grade, and behavior standards.
For students who move out of the district
You must contact your new District of Residence and complete their Interdistrict Transfer application. Applications will be approved if the student meets attendance, grade and behavior requirements.
Please call the Student Assignment Department at (408) 535-6232 ext. 14624 for more information.
No Child Left Behind
The federal policy known as No Child Left Behind (NCLB) is being phased out. Student transfers are no longer available under this program.