(408) 535-6232 ext. 14624
Intradistrict Transfer/Wait List
(408) 535-6232 ext. 14628
Student Assignment Department
(408) 535-6232 ext. 14627
Forms & Applications
School Choice Process
Transfer within SJUSD (Intradistrict)
Transfer to/from another district (Interdistrict)
International Academy - Academia internacional
Transportation Services - Servicios de transporte
Wait List Process
Elementary (Grades TK-5)
If your neighborhood school is full, your student will be assigned to nearest school in the district with available space, and placed on the wait list for your neighborhood school. You will be
notified if space becomes available in your neighborhood school during the school year.
Secondary (Grades 6-12)
Whenever possible, students on the wait list will be transfered during the first two weeks of school and at end of each semester. If you are offered a wait list placement and decline it, your
student’s name will be removed from that school’s wait list. Students can only be on the wait list at one school.
To be added to the wait list for a Magnet or Secondary school, you need to visit the Enrollment Center.
Wait List Priority
Elementary (Non-Magnet Schools)
Only neighborhood students who must be overloaded at the time of enrollment are placed on the wait list. Students will be placed on the wait list in the order of enrollment, with priority being given to students who have a sibling currently attending the wait list school.
Elementary Magnet (Hammer, Hacienda, and River Glen)
1. Students with a sibling currently attending the wait list school;
2. Students who participated in the Magnet lottery [LINK PENDING];
3. All other students
Secondary (All Schools):
1. Students who reside in the attendance boundary of the school (Students with a sibling
currently attending the wait list school are given priority within this group.);
2. Students with a sibling currently attending the wait list school;
3. Students who participated in the School Choice Process ;
4. All other students
● ALL students are removed from wait lists at the end of each year. You must re-apply if you want your student to be placed on a wait list for the following school year.
● Elementary students on the wait list for their neighborhood school who want to remain at their overload school for the upcoming year need to submit an Intradistrict Transfer application during Elementary Pre-Registration (February-March). If we do not receive this application, your student will be assigned to their neighborhood school for the following school year.
● In order for your student to remain on the wait list for a Magnet or non-neighborhood school, they must be enrolled in and attending a San José Unified school. Once your student is enrolled outside of San José Unified, they will be removed from the wait list.
● No wait list moves will be made during the last month of the school year.
Please call the Student Assignment Department at (408) 535-6232 for more information.