Welcome to Horace Mann
Become a Mentor at Horace Mann!
Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP)
San Jose Unified’s Progress SJUSD wants to hear from you!
San Jose Unified School District (SJUSD) parents and community members are invited to provide input on SJUSD’s Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP). All parents and community members from throughout the school district are invited to attend either session.
Thursday, March 19 6-8 p.m.
San Jose High (275 N.24th Street)
Wednesday, March 25 6-8 p.m.
Gunderson High (622 Gaundabert Lane)
Academic Language Acquisition
Adquisición del Lenguaje Académico (ALA)
Hear from parents and experts about SJUSD’s Academic Language Acquisition (ALA) program and how it helps your child transition.
*At this time, this video is only available in Spanish
2014-2015 Flu Information
The Flu Season is here and as you may know, flu can be easily spread from person to person. Therefore, we are taking steps to reduce the spread of flu:
- • Know the signs and symptoms of the flu such as: elevated body temperature(100 degrees Fahrenheit, 37.8 degrees Celsius or greater), cough, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, tiredness, vomit, and diarrhea.
- • Keep sick children at home for at least 24 hours after they no longer have fever or do not have signs of fever, without using fever-reducing medication.
- • Do not send children to school if they are sick. Any children who are determined to be sick while at school will be sent home.
- • CDC recommends children get a seasonal flu vaccine.
Principal Nobles’ News
We are all excited to be working with our students this year. We are planning some very exciting events and hope that everyone will come out and learn with us. We want your kids to love school, love learning and have a successful year.
Horace Mann is an outstanding school with a variety of social and academic experiences for your students. We are always eager to partner with parents and the community to make this an even better school. If you have ideas or questions please feel free to come to the Principals Tea or our Team Horace (parent group) meetings to get involved. Horace Mann is a community school, it is the village that helps to raise the children. You are a fundamental part of our Horace Mann Village community and I am glad to serve you.
Please note that we are planning family nights or activities at least once a month. In September we are planning Science Night. In October we are looking forward to Reading night. We are also planning some school dances and other evening events. Our hope is that we can continue to build a positive relationship with the community and through theat relationship we build academic success at Horace Mann. Our children deserve our best. I’m looking forward to a fabulous schools year! This will be the best one yet!
1. Always sign in at the office get a visitors pass.
2. Be courteous when dropping off and picking up students. Children watch what you do and repeat it. If your children watch you being kind they will be kind.
3. Light blue uniform shirts are for 5th grade students only.
4. We have changed our Husky Pledge. It is now I am a Horace Mann Husky and a citizen of the world. I pledge to be caring, I pledge to be principled, I pledge to be a thinker. I will follow the husky way at school, at home and in my community each and every day.
5. Please pick up students on time. It is very important to have your after-school pick-up plans coordinated with your child.
Vision Statement All San José Unified School District’s students are inspired and prepared to succeed in a global society.
Mission Statement San Jose Unified School District’s mission is to eliminate the opportunity gap and provide every student with the finest 21st century education.
Core Values Horace Mann Elementary is an International Baccalaureate (IB) School that focuses on creating global citizens and leaders. This is very aligned with our SJUSD vision to inspire and prepare all students to succeed in a global society by providing our students with the finest 21st century skills.
Hours: 7:30am to 4:30pm M-F
Contact: Hortencia Martinez - School Secretary, (408) 535-6237 ext. 33400
Questions or Comments About the Website? Feel Free to Email our Tech Coordinator.