Welcome to Horace Mann
Become a Mentor at Horace Mann!
Academic Language Acquisition
Adquisición del Lenguaje Académico (ALA)
Hear from parents and experts about SJUSD’s Academic Language Acquisition (ALA) program and how it helps your child transition.
*At this time, this video is only available in Spanish
Principal Lori Gustafson
Dear Horace Mann Families,
Welcome to a new school year! I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. This is my 14th year in education. I am a graduate of Chico State University and earned my multiple subjects teaching credential at Chapman University. I have a Masters in Administration and Leadership from San Jose State University. I was a teacher in the Chico Unified School District for six years, before moving back to San Jose in 2007. Once in San Jose I taught 2nd grade at Grant Elementary for two years before becoming the Instructional Coach.
The last two years, I served as a District Instructional Coach for the Curriculum and Instruction department. I am thrilled to be the Principal of Horace Mann and I look forward to meeting each and every one of you over the coming weeks.
1. Always sign in at the office get a visitors pass.
2. Be courteous when dropping off and picking up students. Children watch what you do and repeat it. If your children watch you being kind they will be kind.
3. Light blue uniform shirts are for 5th grade students only.
4. We have changed our Husky Pledge. It is now I am a Horace Mann Husky and a citizen of the world. I pledge to be caring, I pledge to be principled, I pledge to be a thinker. I will follow the husky way at school, at home and in my community each and every day.
5. Please pick up students on time. It is very important to have your after-school pick-up plans coordinated with your child.
Vision Statement All San José Unified School District’s students are inspired and prepared to succeed in a global society.
Mission Statement San Jose Unified School District’s mission is to eliminate the opportunity gap and provide every student with the finest 21st century education.
Core Values Horace Mann Elementary is an International Baccalaureate (IB) School that focuses on creating global citizens and leaders. This is very aligned with our SJUSD vision to inspire and prepare all students to succeed in a global society by providing our students with the finest 21st century skills.
Hours: 7:30am to 4:30pm M-F
Contact: Hortencia Martin - School Secretary, (408) 535-6237 ext. 33400
Questions or Comments About the Website? Feel Free to Email our Tech Coordinator.