Parents are encouraged to use IC (Infinite Campus) to access attendance on a daily basis! To use
IC you must have a pre-registered email address. If you don’t have your email address registered with the district, contact either the Enrollment Center or your child’s school registrar.
Regular and consistent attendance is an absolute necessity for academic success in school. Students need to attend each of their classes every day. Students should be absent only when ill. Please schedule doctor and dentist appointments after school is dismissed. After any absence, students have 5 school days to excuse the absence. All absences are excused at the Attendance Office window either before school, during break, during lunch or after school. Absences will not be excused during class time.
When leaving school or returning to school following an absence please do the following:
1. Students who are absent from school must bring a note to the Attendance Office on the DAY of RETURN following the absence. The note must state the reason for the absence, the date of absence, and must be signed by a parent/guardian. Absences will not be excused by phone. The Attendance Office must have a note for the attendance file. Verification of student absences is accepted only for a parent/guardian. No student (including those 18 years or older) may verify their own attendance. LHS gives a 5-day grace period to students who forget their notes. After this grace period absences will not be excused.
2. Students are expected to excuse their absences at the Attendance Office before the tardy bell rings. The Attendance Office is open at 7:00 a.m. Waiting in the line at the Attendance Office is not an excused reason for being late for class. District policy requires a note from a doctor for every absence once a student has been absent over 10% of the school days.
3. Should a student need to leave the campus during school hours, bring a note to the Attendance Office signed by a parent/guardian stating the time and reason for leaving. Bring the signed note to the Attendance Office and obtain a “Leaving School” slip prior to leaving. Saturday school will be assigned to all students who leave during the school day and do not check out through the Attendance or Health Office.
The above are according to the Education Code of the State of California
• Observation of a Religious Holiday (On the district approved list)
• Absences ordered by the Juvenile Courts
• Administrative summons or when detained by other classified or certificated personnel
• Appointments, conferences or interviews with Attorneys, Law Enforcement/Probation/Police Officers • DMV Appointments
INDEPENDENT STUDY-SHORT TERM ( 1 TO 4 DAYS )
If a student will be out of school for 4 days or less for a reason not listed (college visits,
weddings, out of town visits, etc.) they may request a Warranted absence through the Attendance Office. This form can be requested with a note form the parent/guardian. The note must state the dates of the absence(s), the reason for the absence and have a parent/guardian signature. This request must be made 3 to 5 days prior to the scheduled absence.
INDEPENDENT STUDY–SHORT TERM (5 to 15 days)
Students may receive credit for up to 15 school days per semester for absences caused when a
family must take a trip because of bereavement, business, college visits, tests, religious observance and retreats or extended family obligations. The Independent Study Form must be signed in advance and the student must complete all assignments in good order.
Missing class or school without an excused or warranted reason, whether the absence is student or
Any absence which has not been verified as to reason by the close of school Attendance Office on
the fifth school day of attendance following the last day of the absence
Any absence for which advanced approval is necessary and such approval was not obtained prior
to the absence
Reporting to class/locker-room fifteen (15) minutes after the bell has rung without an excused
pass for a teacher, administrator or secretary
For more questions or more information call our School Attendance Technician (408) 997-1312