Welcome to Reed
Dear Parents/ Guardians and Staff,
A new school year presents opportunities for various beginnings- new classes, new faces, new teachers, new schedules and often-new materials such as the Common Core State Standards. Summer and vacation is almost over and as we approach the opening day of a new school year, I would like to inform you of the few changes that we are embarking on this 2013-14 school year.
• Reed Elementary is officially preparing for the role out of Common Core State Standards (CCSS) with full implementation expected in the fall of 2014. Our first step towards the implementation include extensive training for teachers, team collaboration in designing programs and instructions, and other components. Throughout the 2013-14 school year, opportunities will be provided for parents and community members to learn about the ongoing process of our Common Core project. I look forward to having more in depth discussion with you during our “Principal Chat” these coming months regarding CCSS. If you would be interested in participating in our CCSS committee, please call me at (408) 535-6247.
• Effective August 19, Monday “Morning Assemblies” will be held every first day of the week. Students will assemble in front of the cafeteria as they wait for the 8:55 “ready” bell. After the “ready” bell, students will be directed to their class and are expected to line-up in front of their classrooms. 4th and 5th grade teachers will have a separate location to line up and classroom teachers will discuss this with their class during the first week. When the 9:00am “start” bell rings students must be in their classrooms ready to start instruction.
• This week, our first assembly is on the 16th and it will start exactly at 9:00am. Students will be directed to the assembly area (in front of the D wing). Parents are encouraged to join our first morning assembly.
Please do not hesitate to stop by or give us a call if you have any questions. I am looking forward to working together with you as we continue on our path of excellence for Reed.
Melody F.E. Mendoza
Principal, Reed Elementary School
Tel No. (408) 535-6247
Welcome to Reed
Reed Elementary School, located in Southwest San Jose, reflects the rich cultural diversity of San Jose Unified School District and the surrounding neighborhood.
Reed School includes 20 kindergarten through fifth grade classrooms that focus on teaching District and State Standards. The Reed Staff differentiates for many types of learning needs.
Our Vision: “All San Jose Unified School District students are inspired and prepared to succeed in a global society.”
Our Mission: “San Jose Unified School District’s mission is to eliminate the opportunity gap and provide every student with the finest 21st century education.”
At Reed we accomplish our mission by providing a positive environment that develops life long learning skills so that students become productive, successful members of society.
At Reed School; EVERY child matters!
When you are in a hurry to bring your child to school, please remember to respect our neighbors by parking only in unrestricted zones, not moving their garbage cans on Monday mornings, and/or staying in your cars in the Passenger Loading Zone. In addition, set a good example for your children and cross in the crosswalk. No jaywalking, please!
Please remember traffic and parking rules so that everyone is safe and our drop off and pick up runs smoothly.
- Please drive slowly and carefully around our school, especially during drop off and pick up.
- Unfortunately, there are no parking spaces on school grounds for the general public, only for staff and the handicapped. You need to park on the bordering streets.
- We need all drivers to NOT park in the bus areas on Glacier.
Passenger Loading Zones & Bus Zones
Please remember to abide by the passenger loading zone regulations. Use the zone as designed, for dropping off and picking up..not for parking! Please stay in your cars.
At all times, please do not park in the bus zone!
Thank you so much for your assistance!
Parent e-Mail Communication
- Instructional Calendar
- Principal’s Message
- School Handbook (PDF)
- Normas de la escuela (PDF)
- New Immunization Requirements 7~12
Reed Office Hours
The Reed School Office is open from 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on days school is in session. When visiting or calling the campus (408-535-6247) our wonderful office staff will direct your call, or answer any questions you may have. Please make sure to sign in at the office when you are visiting our campus.
Reed Receives SJ 2020 Vision Award
On January 19, 2012, Reed Elementary was honored as a recipient of a “2020 Vision Award”. The honor recognized nine elementary schools in Santa Clara County that have made noteworthy progress toward the Santa Clara County Office of Education and the City of San Jose’s joint mission to close the achievement gap by 2020.