Induction Admission Requirements:
The San José Unified School District (SJUSD) Teacher Induction Program is approved and accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) as a pathway for teachers to clear their Multiple Subject, Single Subject, or Educational Specialist teaching credential. We are a single-district program providing support, professional development, and assessment for new teachers as they transition from pre-service to credentialed teaching.
A teacher is eligible for the Induction Program if he/she has a California preliminary Multiple Subject, Single Subject or Educational Specialist credential that states “To qualify for the clear credential, the holder of this document must complete a Commission-approved Induction program”. The SJUSD credential analyst determines which teachers are eligible based on their credential. Admission to the Induction Program occurs in teacher’s first year of hire, within 30 days of the start of school. The teacher is matched with a mentor according to credentials held, grade level and/or subject area, as appropriate to the participant’s employment within 30 days of admission.
Induction Completion Requirements:
- Attend Induction Orientation, Goal Setting, and end of the year events.
- Attend all identified professional development events.
- Meet with Instructional Coach no less than an average of one hour each week for individualized support / mentoring.
- Attend monthly Induction Support Workshops if additional support is desired or needed.
- Document professional growth using the following SJUSD Induction Program tools with assigned support providing coach each year.
- Complete program surveys.
Criteria for Clear Credential Recommendation:
Documentation of a candidate’s growth is submitted in a timely manner for each benchmark period.
The induction program team must verify satisfactory completion of all program activities.
The induction candidate shows progress towards mastery of the CSTP by:
- Self-assessment on The Continuum of Teaching Practice at beginning and end of each year in induction program
- Detailed, evidenced-based reflective paragraphs that demonstrate a candidate’s growth towards the CSTPs
- Citing evidence of growth towards ILP goals and activities on required SJUSD Induction Program reflective documents [ILP (all sections), CPDR and Culminating Reflections]
- Evidence includes specific details and examples of how the candidate’s instructional practice has shifted / grown