Family Enrolling Student

New Student Enrollment

Whether you have just moved to the area or your child is about to start school for the first time, our team is excited to welcome you to San José Unified.

Enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year is ongoing. You can follow the process below to enroll your student.
The Enrollment Center is accepting appointments for in-person enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year.

We offer a variety of programs at our elementary, middle, and high schools, including Two Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI) and International Baccalaureate (IB). We also have three elementary magnet schools with specialized programs. Learn more about our educational programs

How to Enroll

We accept student enrollments online and in-person. The Enrollment Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 am – 4pm, except on the last Tuesday of each month, when the Enrollment Center closes at 2:30 pm.

Enrollment Center
855 Lenzen Avenue
San José, CA, 95126

Please follow the process below to ensure your enrollment application can be processed efficiently.

Appointment   Find Your School    Enroll Online

Step 1: Gather all required documentation
Step 2: Fill Out and Submit Your Application
  • Option 1 - Online: Visit go.sjusd.org/enrollonline, fill out the online application, and attach required documentation
  • Option 2 - In Person: Fill out this enrollment form and bring it, along with required documentation, to our Enrollment Center at 855 Lenzen Avenue
Step 3: Wait for Document Verification

Before your registration is complete, we need to verify all of your documents. Thank you for your patience as we process applications in the order they are received.

Questions about enrollment? Please contact our Enrollment Center at 408-535-6412 or .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).


Transitional Kindergarten Enrollment

The Transitional Kindergarten program is continuing to expand each school year. Children who meet one of the following criteria are eligible for Transitional Kindergarten:
• Children who turn 4 by April 2, 2023
• Children who turn 4 by September 1, 2023 and live within the boundaries of the following schools:

  • Allen at Steinbeck
  • Almaden Elementary
  • Anne Darling Elementary
  • Canoas Elementary
  • Empire Gardens Elementary
  • Ernesto Galarza Elementary
  • Gardner Elementary
  • Grant Elementary
  • Horace Mann Elementary
  • Lowell Elementary
  • Merritt Trace Elementary
  • Selma Olinder Elementary
  • Terrell Elementary
  • Walter L. Bachrodt Elementary
  • Washington Elementary

Learn more about Transitional Kindergarten


Kindergarten Enrollment

All our elementary schools offer kindergarten. Children must turn 5 by September 1, 2023 to be eligible for kindergarten in the 2023-2024 school year.


Elementary Enrollment

If you are interested in enrolling your student in an elementary magnet school, a TWBI program, or the IB program, you will request this preference as part of the enrollment process. We generally have capacity to place all students who request IB into the program.

All students who have requested a magnet school or TWBI program and have enrolled by March 10, 2023 are entered into a lottery to determine placement. These schools and programs are extremely popular and generally have a waitlist. If your student does not get the request through the lottery, they will automatically be placed on the waitlist for the school/program. Students who enroll after March 10, 2023 will be added to the waitlist.

If you are interested in the TWBI program, you must attend a program orientation to request enrollment for your student. Learn more about the TWBI program


Educational Programs

International Baccalaureate (IB)
  Magnet Schools

Two-Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI)



Elementary (Grade TK-5)

If you live in the SJUSD school district but want to attend a school other than your neighborhood school, you will need to complete an Intradistrict Transfer Application and email it to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Intradistrict Transfers can only be approved after placing all neighborhood students and will be processed using the priorities listed below.

  1. A parent/guardian who works at a San José Unified site within the requested school’s attendance boundary
  2. Students with a sibling currently attending the requested school
  3. A parent/guardian who works within the requested school’s boundary
  4. Students with childcare within the requested school’s boundary – must include a child care affidavit with your application

We start accepting Intradistrict Transfers for the 2022-23 School Year on December 1, 2021. If you have another student that you will be enrolling for the 2022-23 school year for the first time in SJUSD and would like this student to also have an Intradistrict Transfer to the same school, please make sure to do your pre-enrollment with an Intradistrict Transfer application by March 11, 2022 to be considered for priority processing in April. We will continue processing applications up through the first month of school.

Middle and High School (Secondary- GRADE 6-12)

Transfers within SJUSD: Current and active students may apply for a Secondary Transfer (grade 6-12) and must have a satisfactory academic, behavior, and attendance record.


  • Students who currently attend an Alternative ED school and/or have a CWA placement will need to have their transfer application approved by the appropriate department.
  • Students who currently have an IEP and receive Special Education Services such as SDC will need to have their transfer application approved by a Program Specialist.

Secondary students ONLY transfer at the beginning of each semester

Apply for a Secondary Transfer

Interdistrict (OUT)

Request to transfer to another school OUTSIDE of San José Unified School District.

The Interdistrict application can be submitted via email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) in the Student Assignment Department and will need to be renewed annually.

Apply for an Interdistrict Transfer

When applying for an Interdistrict Transfer, parents must provide:

  • Child Care Affidavit if applicable (TK-5th grade only);
  • Proof of employment must be on the letter head (TK-5th grade only);
  • IEP (Special Education students only)

If your application is approved, it will be sent to the requested district, which also must approve it before the transfer is complete.

San José Unified will approve transfers to another district for the following reasons:

  • The students receive childcare services within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
  • One or more parent guardian works within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
  • The student is in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8, and 12);
  • The requested district or school has programs and/or curriculum not available in San José Unified;
  • The student moved out of the requested district after the start of the school year; and/or
  • A transfer would assist with the student’s socio-emotional adjustment.
Interdistrict (IN) Transferring into San José Unified

Students who live outside the boundaries of San José Unified and want to attend one of our schools must request an Interdistrict transfer from their district of residence. Your district of residence will forward your application to San José Unified for review.

Even if an Interdistrict Transfers is granted, it will be renewed annually. Your student may be subject to displacement in future years due to increases in neighborhood enrollment at their chosen school or program.
Please note that transportation services will not be provided by the district for students with Interdistrict Transfers.

Interdistrict Transfers will be processed according to these priorities:

  1. Students whose parent/guardian is a district employee (30+ hours/week) at a site within the school’s attendance boundary.
  2. Students with a sibling attending the requested school;
  3. Students with childcare in the requested school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
  4. Students whose parents work within the school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
  5. Students in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8 and 12);
  6. Change of address; and
  7. Socio-emotional adjustment.
Interdistrict Attendance Appeal

Anyone wishing to file an Interdistrict attendance appeal must first follow the appeal process according to SJUSD Board Policy AR 5117:

Step 1. Appeal to the Interdistrict Appeal Committee, chaired by the Administrator for Intedistrict Transfers. If denied,
Step 2. Appeal to the Office of the Deputy Superintendent. If denied,
Step 3. Appeal to the San Jose Unified School District Board. If denied,
Step 4. Appeal to Santa Clara County Board of Education.

For questions regarding the Interdistrict Appeals process, please contact the SJUSD Student Assignment at 408 535 6232. For additional information on policy, regulations, or how to file an appeal once completing steps 1-3, please visit the Santa Clara County Office of Education website at: https://www.sccoe.org/supoffice/student-appeals/Pages/Interdistrict-Appeals.aspx


Forms & Applications

Enrollment and Registration Forms

The following documents are provided to help you begin the registration process. You can click here to complete these forms online, download the forms by clicking below, or pick up a hard copy packet at the Enrollment Center.

  1. Enrollment Requirements
  2. Enrollment Forms
  3. Declaration of Residency
  4. Parent/Guardian Consent Form for Enrollment
  5. Transfer within SJUSD (Grades TK-5 - attendance boundary)
  6. Transfer within SJUSD (Grade 6-12 - SJUSD active student only)
  7. Intradistrict Student Transfer(TK-5 - transfer within SJUSD school)
  8. Child Care Affidavit(to use with Intra District application)
  9. Interdistrict Transfer(Transfer to another district)
  10. TB Risk Assessment for School Entry
  11. Immunization Requirements
  12. Immunization Clinics
  13. Oral Health Assessment
  14. Report of Health Exam (required for entering First Grade)
  15. Exchange of Student Information (School in US only)
  16. Legal Name Gender Change
  17. Ethnicity Change
  18. Family Self Help-Center Location
  19. Instructional School Calendar 22/23
  20. Change of Address

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I enroll my child?

Enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year begins on December 1, 2022. New elementary students must enroll by March 10, 2023 to be entered into the magnet school or two-way bilingual immersion lottery. 5th and 8th grade students must enroll by February 10, 2023 to be entered into the lottery for school placement.

How old does my child have to be to enroll?

For the 2023-2024 school year, the following cutoff dates apply:

Transitional Kindergarten

  • Students who turn 4 by April 4, 2023 may enroll in Transitional Kindergarten
  • Students who turn 4 by September 1, 2023 and live within the boundaries of the following schools


  • Students who turn 5 by September 1, 2023 may enroll in Kindergarten

What to Expect

Enrolling for the current year

Upon enrolling, students will be placed in their attendance boundary (or “neighborhood”) school and can start as soon as the next day.

It’s important for you to know that enrollment at your neighborhood school may sometimes exceed that school’s programmatic or physical capacity. Whenever that happens, the district will assign students to the nearest school with space available for the current school year and place those students on the wait list for their neighborhood school.

Elementary enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year
Transitional Kindergarten to 5th grade: Student will be placed in their neighborhood boundary school at time of enrollment. Any Two-Way Bilingual Immersion program, Magnet School, International Baccalaureate, or intradistrict transfer requests will be processed according to the deadlines above. 

Middle and high school enrollment for the 2023-2024 school year
5th and 8th grade students who have made school selections by February 10, 2023, will be entered into a lottery to determine school placement. Students who enroll after February 10 will be assigned to their attendance boundary (“neighborhood”) school and may request to be placed on the waitlist of another middle or high school.


©2022 San José Unified School District