Middle & High School Placement
Students currently enrolled in San José Unified who live within the district boundaries have an opportunity to provide three ranked preferences for their school assignment when they transition to middle or high school, unless they have a special need that determines the most appropriate school placement.
- School Assignment Selection Process
Middle and High school assignment information will be mailed on January 13, 2021. Parents can submit their school preferences using the online Parent Portal. The portal will be open for selections on January 19, 2021. All selections must be submitted by February 5, 2021.
Instructions for selecting your school assignment preferences will be included with the mailed letter or you can access the instructions online.
Families will receive school assignment notifications beginning the week of March 8, 2021. Soon after, your school principal will contact you with information regarding instructional programs for the upcoming year.
- Priority Placement
In some cases, the number of students requesting a specific school may exceed the school’s programmatic or physical capacity. When that happens, we will redirect students to their second or third preference based on the following priorities, in order of importance:
- Students who reside in the school attendance boundary
- Students who are requesting a Voluntary Integrative Transfer
- Students with a sibling attending the school who will continue to be enrolled the next year
- Students whose choice of schools does not satisfy one of the above priorities
- Middle and High School Orientations
To assist families in the selection process, we will be holding virtual school tours this year. Use the links below to access the orientation videos.
- Wait List
If all three school preferences for a student are unavailable, students will be automatically assigned to their neighborhood school and placed on the waitlist for their first preference.
Students on the wait list will be prioritized as follows:
- Students who reside in the attendance boundary of the school (students with a sibling currently attending the wait list school are given priority within this group)
- Students with a sibling currently attending the wait list school
- Students who participated in the school assignment process and made selections by due date
- All other students
Any student who wants to be placed on the wait list after the initial school assignments have been made will be added in the order requested. San José Unified assigns waitlisted students during the first month of school and at the end of the first semester.
All students are removed from wait lists at the end of each year. Families must reapply to be included on the wait list for the following school year.