- Elementary (Grade TK-5)
INTRADISTRICT: Request to transfer to another school WITHIN San José Unified School District
Students requesting a new Intradistrict Transfer will be placed according to these priorities below, ranked in order of importance:
- A parent/guardian who works at a San José Unified site within the requested school’s attendance boundary
- Students with a sibling currently attending the requested school
- A parent/guardian who works within the requested school’s boundary
- Students with childcare within the requested school’s boundary
Note: Applications in priorities 1 and 2 must be received between February 3 and March 13, 2020 to be reviewed by April 15, 2020.
All new applications will be processed based on space availability and may not be considered until two weeks after the start of the school year.
Intradistrict are required to be renewed annually. Denials will be notified before the end of the school year.
Please complete the application and submit it to Student Assignment Office or at time of new registration.
TRANSFER TO NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL: Is your student attending a school other than their neighborhood school and want to return to their neighborhood school?
- Middle and High School (Secondary- GRADE 6-12)
Transfers within SJUSD: Current and active students may apply for a Secondary Transfer (grade 6-12) and must have a satisfactory academic, behavior, and attendance record.
- Students who currently attend an Alternative ED school and/or have a CWA placement will need to have their transfer application approved by the appropriate department.
- Students who currently have an IEP and receive Special Education Services such as SDC will need to have their transfer application approved by a Program Specialist.
Secondary students ONLY transfer at the beginning of each semester
- Interdistrict (OUT)
Request to transfer to another school OUTSIDE of San José Unified School District.
The Interdistrict application must be submitted in person at the Student Assignment Department and will need to be renewed annually.
New Interdistrict transfer application for 2020-2021 will be accepted effective January 07, 2020.
855 Lenzen Ave - San José, CA 95126
408 535 6232
Office hour: 08:00am -04:30 pm
When applying for an Interdistrict Transfer, parents must provide:
- Student’s Birth Certificate;
- Parent/Guardian Photo ID;
- Proof of residence within San José Unified boundaries;
- Child Care Affidavit if applicable (TK-5th grade only);
- Proof of employment must be on the letter head (TK-5th grade only);
- IEP (Special Education students only)
If your application is approved, it will be sent to the requested district, which also must approve it before the transfer is complete.
San José Unified will approve transfers to another district for the following reasons:
- The students receive childcare services within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
- One or more parent guardian works within the boundary of the requested district (Grades TK-5 only; verification required);
- The student is in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8, and 12);
- The requested district or school has programs and/or curriculum not available in San José Unified;
- The student moved out of the requested district after the start of the school year; and/or
- A transfer would assist with the student’s socio-emotional adjustment.
- Interdistrict (IN) Transferring into San José Unified
Students who live outside the boundaries of San José Unified and want to attend one of our schools must request an Interdistrict transfer from their district of residence. Your district of residence will forward your application to San José Unified for review.
Even if an Interdistrict Transfers is granted, it will be renewed annually. Your student may be subject to displacement in future years due to increases in neighborhood enrollment at their chosen school or program.
Please note that transportation services will not be provided by the district for students with Interdistrict Transfers.
Interdistrict Transfers will be processed according to these priorities:
- Students whose parent/guardian is a district employee (30+ hours/week) at a site within the school’s attendance boundary.
- Students with a sibling attending the requested school;
- Students with childcare in the requested school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
- Students whose parents work within the school’s attendance boundary (Grades TK-5);
- Students in their last year of an academic level (Grades 5, 8 and 12);
- Change of address; and
- Socio-emotional adjustment.
- Interdistrict Attendance Appeal
Anyone wishing to file an Interdistrict attendance appeal must first follow the appeal process according to SJUSD Board Policy AR 5117:
Step 1. Appeal to the Interdistrict Appeal Committee, chaired by the Administrator for Intedistrict Transfers. If denied,
Step 2. Appeal to the Office of the Deputy Superintendent. If denied,
Step 3. Appeal to the San Jose Unified School District Board. If denied,
Step 4. Appeal to Santa Clara County Board of Education.