Two-Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI)
Two-Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI) education has been part of San José Unified for 30 years. In our TWBI program, students develop dual language proficiency by receiving instruction in both English and Spanish in a classroom that is usually comprised of half native Spanish speakers and half native English speakers.
Two-way programs provide both sets of students with ample exposure to the two languages, one language at a time, allowing them to progress and attain academic excellence in both languages while gaining an appreciation for another culture and developing mastery of grade-level content standards.
Program participants and their families are expected to make a minimum commitment of six years (Kindergarten through 5th grade) to fully benefit from the Two-Way Bilingual Immersion model.
- Program Goals
- Develop fluency in communication and literacy in two languages, Spanish and English.
- Acquire knowledge in all academic subjects as outlined by the National Common Core Academic Standards.
- Cultivate understanding and appreciation of other cultures, inspire self-esteem, and strengthen positive attitudes among students, their families and the community.
- Our TWBI Schools
- Program Orientation
Families who wish to enroll in a TWBI program are required to attend a virtual information session prior to enrollment. The following sessions are available for the 2024-2025 school year:
- Tuesday, December 12, 2023 - 6:00-7:00pm: English Presentation
- Wednesday, December 13, 2023 - 6:00-7:00pm: Spanish Presentation
- Wednesday, January 10, 2024 - 6:00-7:00pm: English Presentation
- Tuesday, January 16, 2024 - 6:00-7:00pm: Spanish Presentation
- Wednesday, February 7, 2024 - 6:00-7:00pm: English Presentation
- Friday, March 1, 2024 - 9:00-10:00am: Spanish Presentation
- Wednesday, March 6, 2024 - 6:00-7:00pm: English Presentation