Two-Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI)
Two-Way Bilingual Immersion (TWBI) education has been part of San José Unified for 30 years. In our TWBI program, students develop dual language proficiency by receiving instruction in both English and Spanish in a classroom that is usually comprised of half native Spanish speakers and half native English speakers.
Two-way programs provide both sets of students with ample exposure to the two languages, one language at a time, allowing them to progress and attain academic excellence in both languages while gaining an appreciation for another culture and developing mastery of grade-level content standards.
Program participants and their families are expected to make a minimum commitment of six years (Kindergarten through 5th grade) to fully benefit from the Two-Way Bilingual Immersion model.
- Program Goals
- Develop fluency in communication and literacy in two languages, Spanish and English.
- Acquire knowledge in all academic subjects as outlined by the National Common Core Academic Standards.
- Cultivate understanding and appreciation of other cultures, inspire self-esteem, and strengthen positive attitudes among students, their families and the community.
- Our TWBI Schools
- Program Orientation
Families who wish to enroll in a TWBI program are required to attend a virtual information session prior to enrollment. The following sessions are available for the 2022-2023 school year:
- December 14, 2021 at 6 pm - English - Join Webinar
- December 16, 2021 at 6 pm - Spanish - Join Webinar
- January 19, 2022 at 6 pm - English - Join Webinar
- January 26, 2022 at 6 pm - Spanish - Join Webinar
- January 28, 2022 at 9 am - Spanish - Join Webinar
- February 9, 2022 at 6 pm – English - Join Webinar
- March 9, 2022 at 6 pm – English - Join Webinar
- Video Tours
Ava Brough (junior), Cody Farthing (senior), Dora Hernandez (senior), and Brian Phan (junior) from Mr. Herlth’s class at Gunderson High produced short video tours for each of our five elementary school TWBI programs. To watch the tours, please click on the links below.
Gardner Elementary (produced by Brian Phan)
Merritt Trace Elementary (produced by Ava Brough)
River Glen (produced by Cody Farthing)
Walter L. Bachrodt Elementary (produced by Dora Hernandez)
Willow Glen Elementary (produced by Cody Farthing)