San José Unified offers transportation services for eligible students. Eligibility is based on students living within the boundaries of San José Unified and meeting the following criteria:
- Elementary students who live more than 1.5 miles from their school of attendance
- Elementary students attending magnet programs at Hacienda Science/Environmental Magnet, Hammer Montessori at Galarza Elementary, or River Glen K-8 who qualify as socio-economic status students under the Voluntary Integration Plan and live more than 1.5 miles from their school
- Middle and high school students who live more than 3.5 miles from their school
Responsibilities of Passengers
Students are required to wear seat belts at all times when riding in a vehicle equipped with seat belts. To protect their riding privileges, students shall follow the standards of bus conduct while in the vehicle:
- Riders shall follow the instructions and directions of the driver.
- Riders shall enter and exit the vehicle in an orderly manner.
- Riders shall remain seated while the vehicle is in motion and keep all parts of their body inside the bus and to themselves at all times.
- Riders should be courteous and respectful to the driver and to fellow passengers.
- Riders shall not eat or engage in disruptive behavior.
View Administrative Regulation 5131.1 - Bus Conduct for a full list of passenger conduct expectations.
Special Education Transportation Services
Additional information and policies can be found in the Information for Parents Receiving Special Education Transportation Services booklet provided by the driver.