Food Services going cashless
Beginning in the Fall of 2017, San José Unified Food Services will introduce “cashless” breakfast and lunch lines in all of our schools. Our goal is to move to a completely cashless system by January 2018. We encourage you to use the MySchoolBucks online prepayment system to pay for your student’s meals.
Using MySchoolBucks is a safe, simple, and secure way to make payments to your student’s meals account. There is no additional cost to you. Funds are available the same day you deposit them. As an added incentive, for every 10 meals you purchase, you will receive a bonus meal!
MySchoolBucks has a number of additional benefits to you, your student, and the school:
- Time savings – Meal lines will move faster, giving students more time to eat, play, and relax during breaks from class.
- Safety – Your student’s meal money will be kept in a secure place, with no risk of misplaced cash or checks.
- Peace of mind – You can set your account to send you automatic reminders when the balance is low, and even make automated payments when the account reaches a certain limit. You’ll also know that the money is being used only for school meals.
We understand this transition may cause an inconvenience. That’s why you will still be able to prepay for meals with cash or check, if needed. Here’s how:
Elementary students (Grades TK-5) – You may bring money to the school office or send it with your student to give to their teacher. Please put the cash or check in an envelope that is clearly marked with the following information:
- Student name
- Student ID number
- Amount enclosed
- Check number (Please make checks payable to: “SJUSD Food Services”)
- Date of payment
- You can also pick up a meal envelope at your school office. Please note that no cash or checks will be accepted on the meal line.
Secondary students (Grades 6-12) – There will be one line designated at each school site to accept both prepayments and cash.