Notice of Governing Board Vacancy
The San José Unified School District Board of Education (Board), pursuant to its bylaws, will make a provisional appointment to fill a vacancy from Board Trustee Area 4, which became vacant on February 12, 2018, with the resignation of Paymon Zarghami. The provisional appointee will serve until the term of office expires in December 2018.
The Board invites any eligible person who would like to be considered as a candidate for appointment to submit an application no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 9, 2018.
Applicants must be: 18 years of age or older; a citizen of California; a current resident of Trustee Area 4 (see map); a registered voter; and not legally disqualified from holding civil office. The candidate selected cannot be employed by San José Unified while serving on the Board. Applicants can verify their residency by visiting the Registrar of Voters website at sccvote.org and selecting “Look Up Your Districts” from the home page.
The Board provides leadership and oversight of San José Unified schools and works with the Superintendent to set a direction for the district, establish policies, and ensure accountability. Board meetings are generally held on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month at the San José Unified District Office, 855 Lenzen Ave., San José, CA 95126. Meetings begin at 6:00 p.m., except as noted or when a closed session is scheduled.
Individuals seeking the provisional appointment to represent Trustee Area 4 must submit:
- A cover letter describing their interests and qualifications for the position;
- A résumé or c.v. including their current home address and contact information; and
- Up to five (5) letters of recommendation.
Candidates will be interviewed at a public meeting of the Board. Potential candidates should note the following timeline and key dates. All events will be held at the District Office and open to the general public:
- Thursday, March 1, 2018, 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – A special meeting of the Board of Education for prospective candidates to engage with current board members regarding the role and responsibilities of the position.
- Friday, March 9, 2018, 4:30 p.m. – Application Materials Due
- Tuesday, March 13, 2018, 6:00 p.m. – Candidate Interviews & Appointment Vote
- Thursday, March 15, 2018, 6:00 p.m. – Board of Education Meeting & Oath of Office
Please note that current board members will not meet nor communicate with prospective or confirmed candidates in any capacity outside of the above listed public meetings. Candidates must be available to interview on the evening of March 13, 2018, to be considered.