Voluntary Integration Plan
The Voluntary Integration Plan (VIP) Committee resulted from the settlement of a 1984 desegregation case against San José Unified. The committee consists of eight (8) parent/community members, two (2) parent alternate members, and eight (8) district staff members. The committee monitors and advises the district on the implementation of its Voluntary Integration Plan (VIP).
For more information, please call (408) 535-6602.
- Voluntary Integration Plan
Approved by the Board of Education in 2003 and revised in 2010, San José Unified’s Voluntary Integration Plan is meant to:
- Prohibit and correct intentional discrimination in any district program or activity on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, or national origin;
- Prevent racial or ethnic isolation from surfacing in district schools;
- Outline the reasonably feasible steps the district will take to correct racial or ethnic isolation that may arise in district schools;
- Foster student integration and diversity; and
- Ensure equal educational opportunity and access for all students.
Click here to read the full Voluntary Integration Plan
- Roles & Responsibilities
The Voluntary Integration Plan Committee will be provided information about district integration activities so that it may provide input to the board about those activities and whether adjustments to
district policies, programs, or services should be made to better effectuate the goals and objectives.
The committee will be consulted about district proposals that would significantly alter the purpose or scope of the VIP. Committee co-chairs will make periodic reports to the Board of Education on the implementation of the VIP.
The committee may hold parent meetings at school sites to disseminate information on available VIP programs (e.g. school assignment, enrichment opportunities, language programs, etc.).
- Meetings & Agendas
Community members are invited to attend VIP meetings. Live Spanish interpretation is provided.
855 Lenzen Ave.
San José, CA 95126
- Past Meetings
January 28, 2019
October 22, 2018
September 17, 2018
May 1, 2017