Strategic Plan 2017-2020
Through more than 30 community meetings and a series of online surveys and focus groups over the 2016-2017 school year, San José Unified collected input from students, staff, families, and community members to shape an updated Strategic Plan to guide our work over the next three years. The Board of Education adopted the following key objectives and metrics on June 22, 2017.
If you’re familiar with our previous strategic plan, Opportunity21, you’ll find these objectives familiar. That’s because we heard loud and clear from our community that we’re headed in the right direction. We’ve used this update to focus on key benchmarks and indicators of success.
If you have any questions or comments, please send them our way.
At San José Unified, we are preparing today’s students to be the thinkers, leaders, and creators of tomorrow with…
- A rigorous curriculum that inspires all students to discover their own greatness
- Our students excel – All schools and student groups will score in the two highest performance levels on the California School Dashboard for English language arts, mathematics, English Learner progress, graduation rate, and college and career readiness.
- An innovative workforce that knows the lessons we learn are just as important as the lessons we teach
- We hire the best – All new employees will pass rigorous screening assessments.
- We succeed in a competitive talent market – All roles will be filled on the first day of school.
- We are a strong team – At least 95% of staff meeting performance standards will be retained.
- A unified community that elevates opportunities for all
- Our students feel safe – At least 80% of students will feel supported and have positive school connections.
- Our families feel engaged – At least 80% of families will feel involved in their student’s education.
- Enhanced resources that make the extraordinary ordinary
- Our students spend more time learning – All schools and student groups, as measured both locally and by the state, will score in the two highest performance levels on the California School Dashboard for suspension rate and student attendance.
- We allocate resources based on need – 100% of supplemental funds will directly support our highest-need students.
- An efficient system that asks and answers the questions, “Why?” and “What if?”
- We cover the basics – All schools and the district will meet standards as measured by the California School Dashboard for basic services, implementation of academic standards, parent engagement, and feedback through a local climate survey.
- We budget responsibly – Annual expenses will be within 15% of projections, or we will be able to explain why.
- We follow through – Initiatives will redefine what is possible and achieve stated goals.