We encourage all of our students to give back to their community by volunteering with local nonprofit organizations in a variety of service areas. That’s why we ask them to complete 40 hours of community service – or 10 hours per year of enrollment – in order to graduate.
Schools may enforce their own guidelines as long as they do not conflict with the guidelines listed below and are approved by San José Unified.
- Community Service Guidelines
- All community service will be completed outside of school hours.
- Service hours completed during the school year at Science Camps will be limited to a total of 20 hours. This includes service completed during recesses.
- Service hours will not be granted for club meetings.
- Paid work will not be considered for community service hours.
- Service credit will not be granted for recruitment, membership building, or teaching about an organization or its beliefs, philosophy or mission. For example, Community Service credit will be granted for volunteer work performed at a church providing childcare, directing recreational activities, helping to feed or clothe those in need, and providing other community services, but credit will not be granted for teaching about religious beliefs or for organizing or participating in religious ceremonies.